Are you noticing a change in your skin’s tone, texture, or appearance? Once we’ve graduated into our thirties, our bodies undergo certain changes, such as our skin losing some of its firmness or elasticity due to reduced elastin and collagen production.
If that wasn’t enough, your body is also going through hormonal changes, resulting in skin you may no longer recognize. With the onset of new skincare concerns like acne, Rosacea, and pigmentation, in addition to the onset of fine lines and wrinkles, it’s no wonder why you may begin to panic!
Despite all the changes going on, there’s still hope in preserving your youthful-looking skin and preventing new skincare issues. By swapping out your old skincare regimen for a better skincare routine for 30 year olds, you can slow the effects of aging, treat new hormone-induced concerns, and maintain healthy skin.
What Should a 30 Year Old’s Skincare Routine Involve?
Your skincare routine after 30 will require more consistency to see results and to preserve a more youthful appearance. While we often prioritize our face, your after-thirty skin care shouldn’t neglect your neck and décolletage areas, as they often show early signs of aging as well. An effective, comprehensive skin care routine for a 30-year-old woman or man should include the following general steps:
Whether you’ve been an avid face washer or are a newbie, you’ll want to begin washing your face regularly in the morning and evening. To properly clean your skin, use a gentle cleanser that’s suitable for your skin type (i.e. oily, dry, normal, acne prone, etc.). Gentle cleansers are tough enough to remove dirt and grime from the day, without stripping your face of necessary oils. At Pinnacle Dermatology, our skin experts love SkinMedica’s Facial Cleanser, as it’s safe for all skin types and removes harmful pollutants from your skin, while leaving your skin feeling soothed and hydrated.
Chemical exfoliants are powerful skincare treatments that often contain acids like AHAs and BHAs. Incorporating chemical exfoliation into your evening skincare routine 2-3 times a week will help encourage cell turnover, stimulate collagen production, improve hydration, and so much more.
Here are some popular chemical exfoliants and their skin care benefits:
- Glycolic Acid: improves the appearance of skin, including fine lines and discoloration, and acne
- Salicylic Acid: offers a natural antiseptic and skin-clearing properties for a deeper cleanse of congested skin and acne
- Lactic Acid: balances your skin’s pH and hydration, stimulates collagen production, and provides a deep cleanse of the pores.
One of our favorite chemical exfoliant products is Revision Skincare’s Papaya Enzyme Cleanser; this two-in-one product gently cleanses your skin, while mildly exfoliating the skin for a smoother overall appearance.
Many people often consider skipping the toner step. While there are more important aspects of your skin care routine for after 30, toner encourages other products to work harder for you. A good toner works to prep the skin to better absorb your serums, treatments, and moisturizers. Be sure to avoid toners with skin-irritating ingredients like alcohol that cause dryness and discomfort. Our skincare professionals love Revision Skincare’s Soothing Facial Rinse to remove excess daily grime, balance the skin’s pH levels, and condition the skin with necessary hydration.
To really pack some anti-aging and skin-preserving punches, be sure to incorporate treatments and serums into your skincare regimen. Depending on your unique skincare concerns and skin type, you can customize this step to best benefit your goals. Arguably, the three most important treatments for thirty-somethings often include the following:
- Vitamin C (i.e. Ascorbic Acid, etc.): these powerful antioxidants defend against harmful free radicals and pollutants and brighten skin’s overall appearance, making it a great addition to your morning skincare routine. One Vitamin C serum our skin experts recommend starting with is Revision Skincare’s Vitamin C Lotion 15%. For a more potent Vitamin-C kick, try Revision Skincare’s Vitamin C Lotion 30%.
- Vitamin A (i.e. Retinols, prescription-level Retin-A, etc.): these encourage skin-cell turnover for noticeable reduction in signs of sun damage and aging, acne, and dull skin tone, a must for after-thirty evening skincare routines. If you’re just starting with retinols, try SkinMedica’s Retinol Complex 0.25 for gentle anti-aging benefits. As your skin gets used to retinol treatments, you can increase its exposure with Skin Medica’s Retinol Complex 0.5 and then Retinol Complex 1.0.
- Eye Treatments: these products treat the delicate skin around your eyes, since it’s often the first area to notice fine lines and wrinkles. Eye treatments can come in various formulas, from creams to serums. Ultimately, you’re looking for a product that’ll hydrate and refresh the eye area. For a potent eye serum, try SkinMedica’s Uplifting Eye Serum to smooth the skin around the eye while reducing the appearance of puffiness and wrinkles.
Even though most skin serums and treatments offer the benefit of hydration, it’s still necessary to lock in moisture to maintain healthy-looking skin. Many moisturizers contain hyaluronic acid, a powerful ingredient that helps retain your skin’s natural moisture. At Pinnacle Dermatology, we like SkinMedica’s Rejuvenative Moisturizer for dry to normal skin types and SkinMedica’s Ultra Sheer Moisturizer for normal to oily skin types.
Sun exposure is incredibly harmful to your skin, causing skin cancers, photodamage, and wrinkles. To protect your skin against further sun damage, incorporate a daily broad-spectrum SPF into your skincare regimen, and be sure to reapply when outside, as SPF protection wears off after about 80 minutes. Our skincare team loves Epionce’s UltraShield SPF 50 for its sheer formula and light-weight feel. You can also incorporate extra sun protection by using makeup with SPF benefits, like Revision Skincare’s Intellishade Original, a tinted moisturizer that adds natural coverage while defending against harmful UV rays.
Protect Your Skin in Your 30s with Pinnacle Dermatology
At Pinnacle Dermatology, we understand how vulnerable you may feel as your skin’s needs change as you age. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation at our Pinnacle Dermatology Spa M.D. in Edina, where one of our cosmetic dermatology professionals will assess your skin’s health, address your skin concerns, and create a customized treatment plan that fits within your budget and schedule, while working towards achieving your skincare goals.