With end-of-summer parties and barbecues in full swing, the last thing you want to worry about is excessively oily skin. Though oily skin can make you more prone to breakouts and acne, it actually helps “preserve” your skin, allowing you to maintain thicker skin with fewer fine lines and wrinkles, according to American Academy of Dermatology.
Despite being a natural anti-aging perk, oily skin can be frustrating to control during the warmer months of the year. While there are no treatments or miracle products to eliminate oily skin, there are some common skincare mistakes to avoid, as well as appropriate products you can incorporate into your daily skincare routine that will help put you back in control of the excessive shine.
4 Common Skincare Mistakes for Oily Skin
1.) Using Potent Cleansers, Scrubs, & Toners
It’s common to reach for a skincare product that you think will cut through the oil or soak it up. However, potent cleansers, toners, and scrubs could be causing the additional oil production. Have you ever used a cleanser that left your skin tight or dry? These harsher products are designed to strip your skin of its natural oils, but what this communicates to your skin is that it needs to produce more oil to compensate for the loss.
Instead, opt for kinder products that will nurture your skin:
- A gentle facial cleanser, like the Epionce Lytic Gel Cleanser, will still remove makeup and oils without drying out your skin; it’s calming ingredients will also soothe and treat your skin, preserving its elasticity and natural brightness.
- Revision Skincare Finishing Touch is a an ultra-fine exfoliant that won’t irritate your skin. Instead it will brighten dull skin and remove impurities, leaving your skin feeling refreshed and hydrated, unlike your standard drying scrubs.
- For those with acne-prone skin, a mild purifying mask, like the Revision Skincare Black Mask, will help to draw out the daily impurities and absorb excess oil, while soothing and refining your skin.
2.) Skipping the Moisturizers
When you suffer from excessive shine, the last thing you think will help is slabbing on moisturizer. However, it’s important to keep your skin properly hydrated to encourage less production of oil and to maintain your skin’s naturally bright appearance. Not all moisturizers and treatments are the same, though. Avoid using heavy products that are oil based and can irritate your skin by clogging pores.
Instead, choose moisturizing products that encourage your natural, healthy glow:
- A light-weight moisturizer with anti-aging benefits, like the Renewal Lite Facial Lotion, will provide gentle hydration, while reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and promoting your skin’s natural radiance for clearer, smoother, and healthier-looking skin.
3.) Avoiding Sunscreens
You may crave the bronzed glow from basking in the summer sun, but sun exposure is not your skin’s friend. Many people avoid slathering up the SPF because of the greasy appearance it leaves you with, but sunscreens have come a long way in the past decade, and applying a daily sunscreen helps protect you from sun damage caused by harmful ultraviolet rays—skin’s biggest aging culprit.
Instead of your old-faithful greasy sunscreen, look for a broad-spectrum sunscreen that is light-weight and non-comedogenic (i.e. it won’t clog pores).
- An oil-free sunscreen, like the Revision Skincare Multi-Protection Broad-Spectrum SPF 50, can also serve as skincare with its age-defying ingredients and hyaluronic acid that boosts hydration, an added benefit when exposed to the drying sun.
4.) Relying on Heavy Makeup Products
The last thing you want to do in the hot summer is load up on heavy makeup. While it may feel like it initially covers the excessive shine, it never holds up in the summer heat. Avoid oil-based, heavy makeup products with ingredients that can clog pores and irritate your skin.
Instead, choose lighter products in the summertime that are non-comedogenic and have skincare benefits, so your sunscreen will work with your skin to preserve its youthful appearance:
- A tinted-moisturizer, like the Revision Skincare Intellishade® Matte, gives a light coverage for a natural glow with the added benefit of SPF protection and age-defying ingredients that are designed to fight premature aging. Opting for a matte formula like this will also minimize the appearance of pores, leaving your skin looking smoother, brighter, and more hydrated.
Enjoy a Personalized Skincare Plan with Pinnacle Dermatology
At Pinnacle Dermatology, our goal is to help you feel confident in your own skin. If you’re unsure what products work best for your skin type, schedule a free consultation at our Pinnacle Dermatology Spa M.D. in Edina to check out our Skin Bar and speak with our experienced team of dermatologists and skincare specialists who can recommend products and treatments to help address your unique skin concerns. Contact us today and let us know how we can help you with your skincare goals.