Are your wrinkles making you second guess your age? Though we’re all susceptible to fine lines and wrinkles as we get older, there’s no need to have them rattle our confidence. With the right approach, you can diminish signs of premature aging, so you always look refreshed and revitalized at any age.
What Causes Wrinkles?
During the natural aging process, the body’s collagen production begins to slow down. Our skin uses collagen and elastin to maintain its elasticity, youthfulness, radiance, and bounce. While our collagen naturally reduces, our daily habits can also contribute to premature aging, causing unwanted wrinkles and fine lines to start showing up more often.
How to Prevent Wrinkles at Home
By incorporating the following anti-aging habits into your daily routine, you can protect your skin, preserve a smooth and youthful appearance, and learn how to avoid wrinkles under your eyes and forehead naturally:
1) Avoid sun damage and excessive sun exposure. The sun exposes your skin to harmful ultraviolet-aging (UVA) and ultraviolet-burning (UVB) rays. Not only are UV rays the culprit for skin cancer, but too much sun exposure ages your skin. To avoid photodamage, skin cancer, and aging effects from the sun, be sure to restrict sun exposure with the following ideas:
- Wear a broad-spectrum daily sunscreen. Revision Skincare’s Multi-Protection Broad-Spectrum SPF 50 delivers the perfect sun protection with additional age-defying benefits!
- Reapply sunscreen every 80 minutes when outdoors. Sunscreen applications only protect your skin for a certain amount of time. Each application is just as important as the first, especially when sweating or swimming.
- Limit exposure with shade. Whether you’re sporting a trendy wide-brimmed hat or finding shelter under a cabana, the shade will be your anti-aging superpower.
2) Establish an all-around healthier lifestyle. Our daily habits affect our skin, whether we’re aware of it or not. By making the following changes in your lifestyle, your skin will work harder for you in the battle against wrinkles:
- Drink more H20. Our bodies require water to heal and recover, and our skin needs it to stay plump and youthful.
- Eat nutrient-rich foods. By eating foods rich in antioxidants (i.e. berries, leafy greens, etc.) and healthy fats (i.e. salmon, nuts, avocados, etc.), you’re nourishing your skin from the inside out.
- Stop smoking. According to the Mayo Clinic, “Smoking can speed up the normal aging process of your skin, contributing to wrinkles…The more cigarettes you smoke and the longer you smoke, the more skin wrinkling you’re likely to have…
3) Get your beauty sleep. Sleep is essential to our overall health, and it plays a vital role in preserving your skin’s youthful glow. Our bodies repair and heal as we sleep, and this precious time will help to fight off signs of premature aging:
- Get enough sleep. At least 6-8 hours of sleep every night will allow your body to have plenty of time to repair.
- Consider a new sleep position. Sleeping on your back may help you avoid added pressure to your face, which encourages the formation of wrinkles on your cheeks, chin, and forehead (sleep.org).
4) Commit to a better skincare routine. It’s important to routinely cleanse and moisturize your skin, as this removes pore-clogging grime and provides your skin with necessary hydration that will help preserve its luster and youthfulness. At Pinnacle Dermatology, we carry an impressive lines of professional-grade skincare products that help you maintain a younger-looking appearance, fight off early signs of aging, and nourish your skin for life.
5) Consider adding retinoids to your skincare routine. Retinoids refer to a class of anti-aging products derived from Vitamin A and encourage skin-cell turnover, which helps reduce early signs of aging. There are a variety of products in the retinoid class that you may consider adding to your skincare arsenal, including:
- Retinols: These retinoid products are available over-the-counter in anti-aging serums, etc., and produce impressive results.
- Retin A: A prescription-level retinoid, Retin A, or tretinoin, can pack quite an age-defying punch and help you kickstart your skincare routine.
Professional Treatments to Reduce Premature Signs of Aging
Ready to ward off signs off aging and preserve your skin’s natural health and youth? Professional cosmetic dermatology treatments and procedures can help rewind the hands of time and revive our skin to appear as young and lively as we feel.
At Pinnacle Dermatology, our team of skincare professionals understand how your fine lines and wrinkles may affect your confidence. To help you feel empowered and take control of your skincare routine, we offer a variety of professional treatments, procedures, and products designed to rejuvenate your skin for a more youthful, radiant appearance:
Medical-Grade Skincare Products: At Pinnacle Dermatology, we carefully handpick only the best medical-grade products that work to deliver better results, whether you need brightening, hydrating, nourishing, or reviving of your skin. At our Pinnacle Dermatology M.D. Spa in Edina, you can come test out some of these products and meet with one of our skin specialists, who can help personalize a skincare regimen for you.
Botox: Injections of botulinum toxin type A help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by calming nerve impulses and preventing the muscles from contracting to form visible lines. Our skilled injectors use Botox to help smooth the appearance of moderate to severe expression lines between the eyebrows, around the eyes, on the forehead..
Dermal Fillers: These safe cosmetic injections can help restore contour and fullness to your face by adding volume fillers, many of which are made from hyaluronic acid. We offer a variety of dermal filler options, including products from Restylane, Juvederm, and Sculptra, to “fill in” deep lines and lift areas of the face to produce a natural, more youthful appearance.
Chemical Peels: This noninvasive procedure uses chemical acids like alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) and/or beta hydroxy acids (BHAs) to exfoliate the top layers of skin, boosting collagen production and improving the skin’s overall appearance. Our Pinnacle Dermatology skin experts use chemical peels to stimulate collagen, while smoothing, brightening, and tightening the skin’s appearance.
Microdermabrasion: Using micro-crystals to exfoliate the skin, these treatments buff away dead skin cells, while stimulating collagen production. At Skin Speaks, our microdermabrasion treatments help to restore natural radiance to your skin and improve your skin’s overall texture.
Laser Therapy: Using light energy or radiofrequency energy, these treatments help resurface the skin and encourage its natural healing process. At Pinnacle Dermatology, we use various laser treatments—such as the Fraxel DUAL Laser and the Thermage CPT Laser—to help patients address a variety of skin concerns, from reducing crow’s feet and wrinkles to minimizing the appearance of imperfections, like scars, pigmentation, and melasma.
Take Control of Your Skincare Routine
Tired of living with wrinkles? Contact Pinnacle Dermatology to schedule a free consultation at one of our Pinnacle Dermatology locations, where our team of trained specialists will work with you to create a customized anti-aging treatment plan that best fits within your budget and works towards achieving your long-term skincare goals.